Joe is a solicitor and director of the firm. He specialises in construction and engineering litigation and commercial litigation. Joe joined Harwood & Co in July 2019. Joe has experience in county court and high court litigation as well as acting for clients in adjudications and mediations. His previous work includes:
- Acted in Cleveland Bridge UK Ltd v Sarens (UK) Ltd.  EWHC 751 (TCC), a multi day high court trial surrounding the installation of six bridges along the Heysham M6 road. The crux of the dispute related to contract formation and estoppel. The case received extensive coverage in the legal press.
- Acted for a local council against a building contractor who carried out renovation works on a high-profile city centre building which were allegedly defective. Aided in settlement negotiations for the Council.
- Acted for a joint venture company in a multi party dispute in relation to allegedly defective city centre regeneration works. The case was settled at mediation.
- Acted for a university client who was having a new building built which was delayed, potentially resulting in the building not being available for the start of the academic year. Assisted them in dealing with the construction company tactically in order to ensure an on time completion.
- Acted for an interior design company who had carried out a multi million pound refurbishment of a residential property, assisting them recover unpaid monies for works.
- Acted for a construction company in a complex defence matter concerning the safe manufacture of explosives.
- Acted for an interior fit out company providing day to day legal advice, dispute avoidance and where necessary acting for them in adjudication and litigation proceedings.
- Acted for a construction company defending a claim for allegedly defective block of flats. The case was particularly sensitive due to the issue of a directors’ personal guarantee.
- Acted for a construction company defending a claim in relation to allegedly defective water treatment works.